Tax time is never fun, but for home business owners, it can seem particularly daunting. Business receipts, travel logs, non-paid invoices, returns, and all the other items that need to be tracked can be overwhelming. Fortunately, the digital age has provided tools to make tax time easier. Even better, many of these tools can now travel with you on your phone. Here are 10 apps to help you track expenses, manage your books, and prepare your taxes.
- Popular expense tracking apps include Expensify, Everlance, Mint, and Shoeboxed.
- FreshBooks, inDinero, QuickBooks Online, and Wave are four of the top accounting apps for home businesses.
- TurboTax and IRS2Go are helpful apps to have around tax filing time.
Apps for Tracking Expenses
The first challenge in taxes is wrangling all the receipts and expenses. These apps help you track this data for easy sorting and report creation at tax time. Several options allow you to scan receipts for easy data input. Don’t forget to track any expense you have related to these apps, as those are tax-deductible business expenses.
- Available for both iOS and Android—free and paid versions
- Track and report expenses including travel
- Use SmartScan to input your receipt information
- Create expense reports
- Reimburse cash expenses
- Available in iOS and Android—free and paid version
- Designed with the IRS in mind
- Email reports in PDF or CSV
- Customize categories
- Easy to categorize trips for business and personal
- Free admin accounts
- Available for both iOS and Android—free
- Track and manage expenses
- Manage bills
- Customize reports
- Create budgets
Mint is one of the few popular budgeting apps that's free.
- Available for both iOS and Android—$22-$67 a month, depending on your business needs.
- Scanning with OCR and human data verification
- Send receipts and business cards in prepaid envelopes for entry
- Archive receipts from Gmail
- IRS-accepted receipt images
- Send expense reports
- Works with other business tools such as Quickbooks, Wave, Evernote, and other apps
Apps to Manage Your Accounting
Along with tracking expenses, home business owners need to manage income, returns, invoices, and all the other financial tasks related to financial management. These apps can assist you in your overall accounting needs.
- Available for both iOS and Android—free trial, then $4.50 to $15 per month depending on client size
- Invoice clients
- Track expenses, bills, vendors and mileage
- Add team members (additional cost)
- Accept payments
- Scheduled late fees
- Payment reminders
FreshBooks offers an option to create a custom pricing plan with unlimited billable clients and specialized features.
inDinero (contact for pricing and app info)
- Two pricing plans that are billed annually, starting at $300 and $900
- Invoicing and online bill payment
- Employee reimbursement
- Tax portal
- Customized reporting
- Month-to-date snapshot
- Credit card processing integration with Stripe
- Accounting and tax help
- Available for both iOS and Android—offers a 30-day free trial and then pricing is based on the plan and ranges from $30 to $200 a month
- Send invoices
- Accept credit/debit card payments
- Record bills, purchases, and expenses
- Manage payroll (additional fee)
- Run reports
- Integrate with many other online tools including PayPal, Square, Shopify, and Gusto
- Available for both iOS and Android—free for invoicing, accounting, and banking; paid versions for payroll (starting at $20) and advisors (starting at $149)
- Free invoicing, accounting, receipt scanning
- Invoice estimates
- Track invoices and payments
- Accept payment (fee)
- Track income and expenses
- Payroll tax calculations
- Pay employees or contractors
- Direct deposit and online pay stubs
Apps to File or Assist With Taxes
For filing your taxes as a business, your best option is a platform that can integrate with your apps. Many of the accounting options above can work with tax software. Check with your app to find the ones it integrates with.
- Available for both iOS and Android—free service
- Check the refund status of your return
- Make checking account, credit card, or debit card payment to IRS
- Find tax prep assistance
- Available for both iOS and Android—small business options start at $119 for federal filing (additional for state)
- Self-employed option
- Live expert help
- Take photo of W-2 to import data into tax forms
- Smooth filing process that includes on-page explanations of what questions mean, as well as access to extensive support pages
The best way to make tax time easier is to start filing, tracking and organizing your business-related financials into a digital tool that will provide reports, store receipts, and integrate with your tax software. Don’t wait. The sooner you start organizing, the easier your business money management and tax preparation will be.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is there an app to help with business taxes?
Yes. There are a wide variety of apps to help with business taxes: apps for accounting and invoicing, and apps through which you file your taxes.
How can I claim my home business on my taxes?
In most cases, you'll claim your home business on your taxes via Schedule C. The paperwork will ask you questions about income, expenses, and deductions related to your home business.