Grants for Home Accessibility Modifications

This financial aid can help you make specific home improvements

Woman in a Wheelchair Pushing a Button on the Wall in Her Kitchen
Grants for handicapped access can help you make specific home improvements. Photo:

Maskot/Getty Images

Homeowners or their family members who are injured, have a disabling condition or are older often require accessibility upgrades to ensure their homes are safe and working well for them. These projects often include making doorways wider, adding ramps, putting in handrails, and more. 

If you need accessibility updates to your home but don't have the money, there are several home improvement grants that can help.

Key Takeaways

  • Several federal grants can help homeowners with disabilities cover the costs of accessibility improvements. Veterans, in particular, have many options.
  • States also offer a variety of home improvement grants that may be helpful. These vary, so check with your state agencies for guidance.
  • Private groups such as nonprofits, advocacy groups, and others provide grants that can help offset costs. Check with your local chamber of commerce or agency on aging for help finding these options.
  • If you don’t qualify for a grant, there are low-cost loans you may be able to use to pay for your improvements. The FHA, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac all offer renovation-specific loan products. You may also qualify for a personal home improvement loan from a private lender.

Federal Disability Grants for Home Improvements

Several federal grants can help you cover the costs of home upgrades if you have a disabling condition. These grants are money you don't have to pay back.

Grants for Veterans

  • Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grants: In fiscal year 2021, qualifying veterans who own their homes and have a service-related disability can get up to three grants worth a total of $100,896.
  • Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grants: Some veterans may also qualify for up to three of these grants, worth a total of $20,215 in fiscal year 2021.
  • Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) Grant: These grants are designed for improving the home of a family member if a veteran must live there temporarily. The terms are the same as with the two programs listed above. The amounts for fiscal year 2021 are $40,637 if you qualify for an SAH grant, and $7,256 if you qualify for an SHA grant. You can apply for the SAH, SHA, and TRA grants via the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
  • Home Improvements and Structural Alteration (HISA) Grants: These can be used for certain changes to your home. Veterans can get up to $6,800 in lifetime aid from this program.

Grants for Rural Homeowners With Lower Incomes

For people with lower incomes living in certain rural parts of the U.S., the Department of Agriculture offers the Rural Housing Repair Loans and Grants program. Only people who are age 62 and older can get these grants, which go up to $7,500. It's important to note that you might have to return the money if you sell the home less than three years after receiving the grant.

Grants for American Indian and Native American Tribes

Members of federally recognized American Indian and Native American tribes can get grants through the Bureau of Indian Affairs’ Housing Improvement Program (HIP). The program does not provide disability grants but offers up to $60,000 to help improve your home.


If you qualify for Medicare Part B, you can use your benefits to cover the costs of “durable medical equipment” for your home, such as hospital beds, patient lifts, toilet chairs, and more.

State Grants and Programs 

In addition to the federal government, many states also offer several grants you can use to revamp your home to make it easier to use. For example, Maine offers a Home Accessibility and Repair Program for people with low incomes who need money to make changes to their homes, including upgrades for people living with a disability. Illinois also offers a Home Accessibility Program that provides funding to local governments and nonprofit groups in the state so that they can help people with disabilities stay in their homes.

To see what programs are in your area, check with:

  • Your state/city housing or housing finance agency
  • Your state/city health or human services department
  • The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in your state

Private Disability Grants for Home Improvements

Finally, there are also private grants you can use to pay to improve your home. These often come from community groups, nonprofits, and private firms.

Here are just a few you may consider:

  • Travis Roy Foundation Grant: These are for homeowners with spinal cord injuries only due to sudden unexpected accidents. Grants average about $3,500, with a maximum of $5,000.
  • Rebuilding Together: This volunteer group offers no-cost home repairs and upgrades. See to find a branch in your area.
  • Self-Sufficiency Grants: These are offered by the Modest Needs Foundation and are available to homeowners with lower incomes. The application can be filled out online in about 30 to 45 minutes.

For other private grant programs you might be able to access, check with your local chamber of commerce, disability advocacy groups, charities, community organizations, and nonprofits (particularly those focused on veterans, seniors, or specific diseases and disabilities).


Your city’s agency on aging may also be a good place to go for help with accessibility home improvements.

Other Ways to Fund Home Improvements

If you cannot get a grant, there are other low-cost ways to pay for these changes to your home. For example, the Federal Housing Administration’s (FHA) 203(k) rehabilitation loan may be a good option. This loan allows you to refinance your current mortgage, rolling the cost of revamping your home into your balance. 

Fannie Mae’s HomeStyle Renovation Mortgage and Freddie Mac’s CHOICERenovation Mortgages may also be good options to look at. Make sure you shop around with a few lenders before you apply for a loan, which will allow you to get the best rate.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What other grants are available for home improvements?

Grants for accessibility modifications aren't the only ones available to homeowners. There are grants for eco-friendly improvements, grants for veterans, and grants for members of various ethnic or socioeconomic groups. Check with the local government agencies in your area, along with federal agencies to see what's available to you.

How do I apply for home improvement grants?

Grant programs usually require you to fill out an application and submit any supporting documentation demonstrating your need and how you would use the money. Be prepared to submit bank documents, tax returns, medical history, and anything else you may need in order to show your qualifications. Contact the grant-issuing agency for further information before you apply.

Was this page helpful?
The Balance uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
  1. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. "Disability Housing Grants for Veterans."

  2. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. "Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA)."

  3. "Rural Housing: Housing Repair Loans and Grants."

  4. U.S. Department of the Interior Indian Affairs. "Housing Improvement Program."

  5. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. "Part B Costs."

  6. Travis Roy Foundation. "The Travis Roy Foundation Quality of Life Grant Program and Grant Application."

Related Articles