Tax Planning Basics—Don't Pay More Than You Have To

It's all about reducing your taxable income as much as possible

Two women reviewing tax paperwork
Photo: / Digital Vision / Getty Images

The idea behind tax planning is to arrange your financial affairs so you ultimately end up owing as little as possible in taxes. You can do this in three ways: You can reduce your taxable income, increase your deductions, and take advantage of tax credits.

These options aren't mutually exclusive. You can do all three for the best possible result.

How to Reduce Taxable Income

Your adjusted gross income (AGI) is the key element in determining your taxes. It's the starting number for calculations, and your tax rate and various tax credits and deductions depend on it. You won't be able to qualify for certain credits or deductions if it's too high.


Your AGI can even impact your financial life outside of taxes. Banks, mortgage lenders, and college financial aid programs all routinely ask for your adjusted gross income, which is is a key measure of your finances.

The more money you make, the higher your AGI will be, and the more you'll pay in income tax. Conversely, you'll pay less in taxes if this figure is lower. That's how the American tax system is set up, and it all begins with that magic number—your AGI.

How Do You Find Your AGI?

Your AGI is your income from all sources, net of any adjustments to income you might qualify for. These aren't the same as deductions when they decrease income, because you don't have to itemize in order to claim them. You take them on Schedule 1 of your 1040, and the total can reduce—or even increase—your adjusted gross income, depending on the nature of the adjustment.

Schedule 1 reports deductions from gross income and additional sources of income as well. Your AGI will go up if you have only additional income and don't qualify for any adjustments. The flip side is that your AGI will shrink if you have adjustments but no additional sources of income.

Additional sources of income include but aren't limited to:

  • Taxable state tax refunds
  • Alimony received
  • Business income
  • Gambling income
  • Capital gains
  • Unemployment compensation

As of tax year 2021, adjustments to income include but aren't limited to:

  • Contributions you made to a traditional IRA
  • Student loan interest paid
  • Alimony paid
  • Contributions to health savings accounts (HSAs)
  • Moving expenses for certain members of the Armed Forces
  • The deductible portion of the self-employment tax, as well as self-employed health insurance premiums


These adjustments appear on lines 11 through 24 of the 2021 version of Schedule 1, a form first introduced in 2018 when the IRS began redesigning the old Form 1040 in response to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA).

Increase Your Tax Deductions

Your taxable income is what remains after you've determined your AGI. You have a choice here: You can either claim the standard deduction for your filing status, or you can itemize your qualifying deductions, but you can't do both.

As of tax year 2021, itemized deductions include:

  • Expenses for medical and dental expenses that exceed 7.5% of your AGI
  • The total sum of state and local income taxes, real estate taxes, and personal property taxes, such as car registration fees, up to $10,000, or $5,000 if you're married and file a separate return. You can substitute sales taxes you paid for income taxes if this is more beneficial for you, but you can't include both sales and income taxes. You must choose one or the other.
  • Interest on mortgages taken out of up to $750,000, or $375,000 if you're married and filing a separate tax return
  • Gifts to charity and cash donations of $250 or more
  • Casualty and theft losses that result from a nationally declared disaster

To Itemize or Not to Itemize?

One key tax-planning strategy is to keep track of your itemized expenses throughout the year using a spreadsheet or personal finance program. You can then quickly compare your itemized expenses with your standard deduction. You should always take the higher of your standard deduction or your itemized deductions in order to avoid paying taxes on more income than you have to.

The standard deductions for the 2021 tax year are:

  • $12,550 for single filers and married taxpayers filing separate returns
  • $18,800 for heads of household
  • $25,100 for married taxpayers filing joint returns

A single taxpayer who has $13,000 in itemized deductions would do better to itemize than to claim the standard deduction. That's an additional $450 off their taxable income, the difference between $13,000 and $12,550. But a taxpayer who has only $9,000 in itemized deductions would end up paying taxes on $3,550 more income if they were to itemize rather than claim their standard deduction.

Take Advantage of Tax Credits

Tax credits don't reduce your taxable income—they're even better than that. They subtract directly from any tax debt you end up owing the IRS after you complete your tax return and you've taken all the adjustments to income and tax deductions you're entitled to.

There are tax credits for college expenses, saving for retirement, adopting children, and child care expenses you might pay so you can go to work or attend school. For example, there is the Child Tax Credit for children under the age of 17, which is subject to income restrictions, and the earned Income tax credit (EITC) that can put some money back into the pockets of lower-income taxpayers.


The Child Tax Credit is worth $3,600 for each child under the age of six, and $3,000 for children from age six to 17, in tax year 2021. This is a temporary one-year adjustment provided by the American Rescue Plan Act that was signed into law by President Biden in March 2021.

Tax credits are credited directly to the IRS as payments, just as though you had written a check for money owed. Most of them can only reduce or eliminate your tax debt, but some (i.e., the "refundable") credits can result in the IRS issuing a tax refund for any balance left over after your tax obligation has been reduced to zero.

Avoid Additional Taxes

Avoid taking early withdrawals from an IRA or 401(k) retirement plan before you reach age 59 1/2 if at all possible. The amount you withdraw will become part of your taxable income, and you'll also pay a 10% tax penalty.

Things Have Changed

The TCJA upended tax rules significantly when it went into effect in 2018. The Internal Revenue Code used to provide for personal exemptions that could further decrease your taxable income, but the TCJA eliminated these from the tax code, at least through 2025, when the TCJA potentially expires.

The rules for deductions, adjustments to income, and tax credits cited here are applicable for tax year 2021. They do not necessarily apply to tax years 2017 and earlier.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I reduce my taxable income if I'm self-employed?

Anyone who pays self-employment tax is eligible to deduct half of this tax from their gross income. As a self-employed person, you're also eligible to deduct a variety of business-related expenses, along with the cost of your health insurance. You can also seek to lower your total net profits, as that will reduce your taxable income before any other deductions.

Is it good to reduce your taxable income?

Reducing your taxable income now could lower your Social Security benefits in retirement. However, when you pay lower taxes now, you have more freedom to invest that money for larger returns in your own retirement accounts. It's a good move as long as you're strategic with the money you save.

Was this page helpful?
The Balance uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
  1. IRS. "2021 Schedule 1 (Form 1040)." Page 1.

  2. IRS. "2021 Schedule 1 (Form 1040)." Page 2.

  3. Internal Revenue Service. "Instructions 1040 (2018)." Page 6.

  4. IRS. "Topic No. 501 Should I Itemize?"

  5. IRS. "Topic No. 502 Medical and Dental Expenses."

  6. IRS. "2021 Schedule A (Form 1040)."

  7. IRS. "IRS provides tax inflation adjustments for tax year 2021."

  8. IRS. "The Child Tax Credit Benefits Eligible Parents."

  9. The White House. "The Child Tax Credit."

  10. U.S. Congress. “H.R. 1319—American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.” Sec. 9611, Pages 141-142.

  11. IRS. "Credits and Deductions for Individuals."

  12. Internal Revenue Service. "Retirement Topics - Exceptions to Tax on Early Distributions."

  13. IRS. "4491 - Personal Exemptions." Page 5-2.

  14. IRS. "Publication 5307: Tax Reform Basics for Individuals and Families." Page 7.

  15. IRS. "Self-Employment Tax (Social Security and Medicare Taxes)."

Related Articles